Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lower leg troubles

Hello,
    Ive tried contacting sales but no response. Im wondering about matching a new lower unit to my leg.

I have a bent prop shaft,my skeg is ground down, there's alot of play on my lower shift cable when in gear (shift spool?), a small hole in the side of the leg, and now its starting to make a vibration (feels like the lower unit).

Sooooo... Im hoping I can fix all of these problems by just getting a new lower unit! :)

Ive attached a pic of my leg.

How can I be sure which lower unit to buy? If its a se106 lower unit i need is there only 1 kind of se106 lower unit or does gear ratio matter? I want to make sure it will work with my top. When I open the top cover I can count about 8 teeth (the half i can see...) so it would make sense if it was a 17 tooth 1.81 ratio? But i am guessing. I'm running a mercruiser 165 4 cyl which would match that ratio.

But i don't want to guess at this. Is there any way to tell if the se106 lower unit will match my top unit for sure?

I heard that the replacement lower units dont come with top O ring seals. This wont cause problems?

Also, i think i need to replace my seals on my existing top unit. Can I purchase a 94-106-09K upper seal kit (compatible with my existing top unit?)

Thanks!
    Last edited by peterjm; 05-13-2010, 12:43 PM.

If you are just replacing the lower, then the ratio doesn't matter. It will mate up to your upper just fine. The seal kit you mentioned will work with your upper, however you will need several special tools to replace them. It is probably cheaper just to buy a complete drive. You mentioned a 164 4 cyl engine. Did you mean a 165? The 3.7l engine with closed cooling? If so you would get the 1.81 complete. If it is 82 or older you will want the old style, but it looks newer than that so the regular one should be it.

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

OK now i know what i need to order, its just a matter of if i get a new top too. The top seems to be in good condition other than a seal on the bottom where the spring is leaning out. I read it can be just poped out with a screwdriver and doesnt need special tools?

Also im still wondering about reading about a lack of an O ring on the top of the lower shaft? is that no longer needed?

I meant 165 as the engine, sorry, just did an edit on that.
      Last edited by peterjm; 05-13-2010, 12:45 PM.

Comment

That is correct, that is the only seal you can change without special tools. Pop it out with a screwdriver and put it back in with a socket that is slightly larger and upside down.

The o-ring grove was a weak spot on the old shafts and not really needed so they eliminated it along time ago.

Tech Support

Comment

One more question... If i order the upper seal http://www.sterndrive.cc/pdfs/se106_upper.pdf. Is it part 11, 12 or both that id be replacing?

Comment

Yes, it is item 11. We do not sell it seperately, so you might just want to pick that up at a dealer. The OE number is 26-96503 1

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X