Shift Cable Adjustment For SE106

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Cable Adjustment For SE106

I just installed my SE106. I have the same shift cables used with my Quicksilver shifter that shifted the Alpha One that the SE106 replaced. The drive goes in forward and reverse easily, both with the engine running and off. There is about 3 inches of difference between positions of the remote control shift cable in forward and reverse gear.

I have not run the boat with the prop under load yet (only in the driveway). When I shift into forward gear with the engine running, the prop spins with no clutch noise. When I shift into reverse, the prop spins, but I can feel some vibration in the drive that seems to me like the clutch is not fully engaged.

I have been told that I should make final adjustments on the shift cable after seeing how the drive performs under load. However, I am not sure how to do this. Can anyone give me some direction?

The easiest adjustment would be to disengage the remote shift cable and rotate the barrel towards the stern, which I believe would increase the amount of travel between the forward and reverse positions of the cable. However, any adjustments I make would be trial and error, since I believe that the amount of travel is within the Mercruiser specified tolerance of 2 7/8-3 1/8 inches.

Please email tech@sterndrive.cc for a pdf document that will explain the shift adjustment.

Tech Support

Comment

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf
      see if this helps

Comment

follow up question on shift cable adjustment

I checked the cutoff switch position, and it is centered in both forward and reverse.

The only difference between my remote cable and the cable in the service bulletin is that the service bulleting says that the adjustable stud should be at the bottom of the shift lever slot, and mine is centered. Does this matter as long as the cutoff switch is centered?

Comment

I believe the intent of the movable stud is to effectively give the remote control cable a longer throw. It should not affect the shift cutout switch. If you have not had the boat in the water yet, do not be concerned about the shift cutout switch. The switch will only activate when shifting out of gear when the boat is in the water. If you have stalling issues, then you need to be looking at the switch, or you possibly have a shift cable that is dragging.

Comment

Working...
          X