lower unit propshaft play/clunking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• lower unit propshaft play/clunking

just installed my 106. fired up the boat out of water let it warm up. then shifted into gear to see if everything shifted ok. everything seems fine but i get a clunking in both foward and reverse not in neutral. seems to corrispond with the prop moving in and out very slightly. its relatively loud. i just want confirmation that this is a normal pre break in sound or because it was out of water (no load) or could it be something i overlooked installing the prop or maybe something internal. the propshaft play is no more than the old unit it replaced but ofcourse the old unit didnt make this sound. the clunking increases with rpm. clunks both foward and reverse. its definately not coming from inside the engine bay. and as i said it seems to clunk as the prop extends out the tiny bit of 1/16 maybe 1/8 of an inch. no rythmic pattern to the clunk.

thanx.

The SE106 will definately make a clunk as you shift into gear. If it is making a clunk while it is running, then I would suspect that you have a stainless steel prop. Those have a tendancy to cause some clunking while running on land because of the weight.

Drop it in the water and see what it does.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X