Driveshaft O ring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driveshaft O ring

getting ready to install my new SEI06 lower onto my 1989 Alpha one upper. the old driveshaft (protruding from the top of the lower) has a seat for an "O" ring. My Mercruiser stern drive repair manual says "Verify that the O-ring is installed onto the driveshaft. This O-ring is EXTREMELY important to prevent water from reaching the driveshaft splines". My new SEI06 lower does not have a seat for an O-ring and no O-ring was supplied. Is one needed and if so where does it seat, what size, etc.? If not needed how do i keep water out of the upper driveshaft?...

They did away with that o-ring many years ago, as it created a weak spot in the shaft. It is not needed, so don't worry about it. There is a seal in the upper that seals against the shaft.

Tech Support

Comment

Driveshaft "O" ring

Thanks for clearing that up.
      I also have questions about the (4) "O" rings supplied. I have installed many drives but questioned where your seals go. Two obviuosly go on the Universal input drive shaft. I don't see the water transfer connection "O" ring location on your 106 top unit and you don't seal the vertical shaft, So where do the other two "O" rings go?
      Merc uses two on the input drive shaft,one on the vertical driveshaft and one for the water transfer connection.
      One other question. Why the BIG groove on the input shaft at about the drive coupling ?
      Last edited by Stillcrazy 36; 08-23-2010, 11:13 AM. Reason: mispelled word

Comment

The water connection o-ring groove is actually on the bell housing, not the drive. So that is where one of the o-rings go. You already know about the two on the input shaft. The last o-ring goes in the groove on the input shaft near the coupler that you mentioned. This is used for newer style greasable couplers. however it does not jurt to install it if you have an old style coupler.

Tech Support

Comment

Drive shaft O rings

OK, I read the instructions over again and took another look before I read your reply. I found a larger "O" ring than the two smaller ones and it fit nicely on the "Splined" shaft all the way up against the universal joint . I then installed the two "O" rings into the machined slots. The remaining "O" ring went into the large groove by the splines. That leaves none for the water soooo ??
          SEI instructions say in step 3.4 " install the new "O" rings onto the driveshaft. Install the big one first, and then the two small ones." That brings up another question. Was the big "O" ring installed first against the universal joint wrong ? Was that really the water passage "O" ring ? And was the "big one" really meant to be the Bell housing seal ?

Comment

kit

The mounting kit should have 1 large rubber type ring that is glued into the housing , 1 O ring for the middle of the input shaft, 2 smaller O rings for the 2 grooves in the input shaft, and 1 O ring for the water inlet.Nothing goes up against the flange area

Comment

Driveshaft O ring

Sorry, lost the thread and answered on a similar one. I Understand but the instructions are confusing. I usually don't install the "big one" (Bell housing seal) at this point. As you said it is glued into place at time of install.

Comment

I posted on the other thread for you. http://www.sterndrive.cc/vbforum/showthread.php?t=1240

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                X