Shifting trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifting trouble

I put my 84 Sea Ray Sundance 260 in the water yesterday. It was the first time I've run my new SE106. I ran it at the ramp dock for a little while, and it shifted very smoothly. It shifted smoother than my old driver ever did. I left the dock and headed for my slip about 200 yards away. Everything was good. When I shifted into reverse as I approached my slip, my engine revved, but I had no reverse power. It did the same thing in forward. I was basically at idle rpm's the whole time. I'm going to tow the boat back to the ramp and pull it out today. Any suggestions about what I should look for?

Thanks

I am not sure I follow entirely. Does it hold forward and reverse at idle speeds, but when you give it gas, it slips, or feels like neutral? If so, you should try a diffent prop first, if that doesn't solve it then you might have a bad engine coupler.

Tech Support

Comment

I pulled the boat out of the water today and looked at the drive. Forgive my lack of proper teminology, but brass shift shaft that comes out of the lower unit seems to be sitting a little too low. It slipped out of the u-shaped coupling that actuates it. It sits perfectly at 12o'clock in forward gear. I had someone else shift it back and forth a few times while I watched it, and it slipped out after a few shifts. I can lift the brass shift shaft up with my finger about an 1/8", and then it seats fully in that u-shaped coupling. The prop just came back from the prop shop, and the coupler looked good when I had the unit off last week.

Comment

Ahh, that makes sense. There is a flat washer that should sit on the shift bushing on the lower. This sets the height of the brass lever. If this washer is missing the brass lever will sit to low and not shift properly.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the info and quick reply. I remember the washer, but I must have installed it incorrectly. I'll separate the units and take a closer look. Thanks

Comment

Shifting trouble

What was the resolution ? Was the washer missing ? I had the same problem only I recognized it when I was installing the unit. Splitting the case I found the washer was there but not the rubber washer under the SS one.Purchased the missing part and that helped the clearance but I still have trouble getting the cables adjusted.???

Comment

That little rubber washer doesn't do much, it will help keep some grease in the seal area, and also keep dirt out of it, but it will not change the height of the shift lever. It should be there, and if it is missing, please give us a call so we can send one out.

Tech Support

Comment

Shifting trouble

Don't bother sending out the washer.I bought one and installed it.Cost $1.18

Comment

Just getting ready to assemble my upper & lower, bought to complete SE106's last fall. I've been going thru past post trying to pickup any tips & came accross this one.
                  So if i understand correctly, the splined shift shaft coming up from the lower unit should have a rubber washer on it, set down against case? And the brass shift shaft that came with my install kits, installs thru larger hole in upper unit, then the flat washer on from underside & then the cotter pin to keep washer on? I guess I'm wondering about the cotter pin set down on the rubber washer, don't seem right.
                  Yes, I am very nervous about doing all this even though I am pretty mechanically inclined.

Comment

Working...
                  X