shifting issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shifting issue

it seems that everyone has shifting issues with these things and so do I .My drives are new and have about 15 hours on them .
    installer told me that I might have issue at first launch and would need adjustment,it did.then after about 7 hours lost forward in one drive .the boat had to be hauled and shift foot needed to be replaced to the tune of 287 for the part plus the haul and gear lube and labor etc...,I dont know if the shift boot is on the drive or the intermediate and would like to know and would this be warranteeable,and now after a bunch more hours it seems that when i go into reverse then nuetral it stays in reverse,cable is good and never had problem with my genuine alpha ones.to stop from going into reverse i have to throw it into forward then back to nuetral. whats the deal with these things ? I have 2 both standard rotation.
    Last edited by nicknack; 07-13-2010, 05:42 PM.

The boot has nothing to do with allowing the boat to shift or not, it only stops water from coming into the boat through the shift cable cavity in the transom. The boot is part of the transom assembly, not the drive.

If you would like, email tech@sterndrive.cc and ask for the shift adjustment document. That might help you through the proplem, as it sounds like it just needs to be adjusted properly. The document will also show you how to check for problems.

Tech Support

Comment

correction

i made mistake when writing about my shifting issue. the part that was replaced was the shift foot and the bill also refers to the shift shaft
      arethese parts part of a complete purchase of my drives and to add to this when the drives were purchased by a sei dealer and installed by same the puchase included a complete install kit is any of this under warrantee and who makes the claim and how who will pay for the haul and insidentals when your product doesnt perform as expected or in the event of part failure

Comment

The shift foot might be the brass shift lever. This part is included in the installation kit. The other shift shaft could be the shaft in the bell housing or the shaft in the lower unit. Without a part number I would not know.

It is possible when putting the drive on the boat to damage the foot and the shift shaft if it was not lined up properly and then bolted up.

Our warranty only covers the drive. We do not pay labor or incidental damages.

If a part of our drive was damaged during installation, we would repair it.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X