Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water in Pwr tilt/trim system

Hi:

I'm new to the forum. I have a 1990 Galaxy with 4.3 GM/Mercruiser and alpha 1 sterndrive. Some how I'm getting water in the power tilt/trim system as the oil is chalky. any suggestions where the water may be getting in?

Also, I'm having trouble shifting the unit out of reverse, and really have to manhandle it. No problem with forward though.

any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks, Bill

Sometimes the trim fluid looks like it has water in it, but it is just aerated. If it is getting water in it, it would mostlikely be the end seals on the tim cylinders, but also make sure all the connections are tight.

As far as the shifting goes, my guess is that the shift cut out switch on the shift bracket is not being activated while shifting out of reverse. Since it is only a problem with reverse I would suspect a problem with the shift bracket, more than the switch, however the switch may just need to be adjusted. While trying to shift out of reverse, you could manually hit the cutout and see if it shifts easier.

Tech support

Comment

thanks and another question

thanks so much for the advice. I'll check these things out.

I have another question if you don't mind. When the boat is in the water with the engine off, it's taking on water that looks to be coming in from under the exhaust pipes where they come together and exit through the transome. It's coming in a pretty good rate to the degree the bilge pump runs all the time. you can't see down there at all to know for sure but when I stick my hand down there that's where I feel it coming in below the drive shaft. Once the engine is started and moving forward the water seems to stop coming in or at least slow to a drip. Would this be the gimble seal leaking or something else? if so, to replace that seal does the engine have to come out or the sterndrive?

again thanks so very much for your help!

Comment

My guess would be that it is the transom leaking between the gimbal housing and the boat. That is why it stops leaking when the boat is moving. You will most likely need to remove the engine so you can completely reseal the transom assembly.

Tech Support

Comment

thanks again!

Comment

Working...
          X