Shifter Alignment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shifter Alignment

I just purchased a new 106 upper. I installed it with no problem. I sent the lower unit out to have it taken apart and cleaned out. When I got the unit back and tried to install it I couldn’t get the shift rod to be at the 12 o’clock position in forward gear to reinstall the lower. When the unit was in forward gear I will either be at about 2 o’clock which is too far for the linkage in the bell housing to travel or it will be at 10 o’clock in which case I have already used most of the travel the shift cable has. It's like it needs to be moved 1/2 a notch. The mechanic who disassembled the unit said he couldn’t have done anything wrong and that the issue must be the way I’m adjusting the cable. Any help would be most appreciated as I have had the unit on and off about 5 times now. THANKS

lower

Seem to be missing something. The upper shoe will mate to the lower splined shaft in any position. With the lower shaft turned fully clockwise is fwd, install lower, and set upper shoe in a straight line to match FWD gear on the control box.

Comment

Thanks Bt Doctur

When I turn the lower splined shaft to the full clockwise postion I'm not straight ahead. If straight ahead is 12 o'clock then I'm pointing at 2 O'clock or i I remove the shifter foot off the splined shaft and moved it one notch counter clockwise then I'm pointing at 10 O'clock. In either of this postions I don't have enough travel to engage both forward and reverse. I can only have one of them and netural when I install the lower to the upper.. I.m wondering the shift crank could have been installed to the right instead of the left? Can the shift crank be installed backwards? Any help is greatly appricated.

Comment

shift

It can be installed reversed but if that were true you would be engaiging reverse gear with the splined shaft turned fully clockwise. try removing the cotter pin and washer to remove the upper shoe and install the shoe on the splined shaft .fully clockwise and pointing straight, spin the driveshaft clockwise and see what direction the prop shaft turns.

Comment

Just to clarify, if you turn the shift shaft clockwise all the way while looking down at it, and also turn the prop shaft counterclockwise while standing behind it, everything should lock into place. If the prop ratchets counter clockwise, then try turning the prop clockwise and see if it locks. If it does, then the shift crank is backwards.

Also, I don't have a shift shaft here to look at, but I believe they have 6 splines? If so, each tooth is at 60 degrees since 6x60 equals 360. If there are 12 hours on a clock, then each tooth should represent 2 hours, which means if you are at 2 when turned clockwise, you should be able to move one tooth and be at 12? I have been working in the sun all day and am dehydrated, so feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the help.

Yes it was installed backwards. After I went to the tech section here on this site and printed off the section about how the prop should turn in what gear the mechanic agreed to tear it back down and check it. I told him if it was correct I would pay but if it was wrong he fixed it for free, sure enough he called and said it was wrong. I now have the unit back and installed it in a matter of minutes. Thanks for the feed back. It's good to know that there are people out there who are willing to help.

Comment

Working...
            X