Noise and overheating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise and overheating

I very recently purchased and insalled 2 se 106 (Alpha one replacement) outdrives on my 1987 Cruisers. I have only put 5 hrs on them since installation. They are both loud (whining noise) i assume this is a break in thing and am not too concerned. However one is considerably louder than the other and is heating up the engine at low rpm (600-750 in gear). When the engine is sped up the temp drops.

The drives should quiet down around the 10 to 15 hour mark. If you are concerned about it, you could check the magnets on the drain plugs to make sure there are no chunks of metal.

Concerning the overheating, it sounds like an impeller that ran through some sand. I would recommend replacing the impeller and see if that helps.

Tech Support

Comment

Sand?

The drive was never within 100 feet of sand, so that is definately not the cause i am on a very deep lake cut into solid granite. Could it be the impeller that is making that side louder than the other ?

Comment

Over heating

I recently installed two SE 106 complete outdrives, the port side is louder than the starboard and over heats at low rpm ? the drives only have about 5 hours on them and have NOT been anywhere near sand. Does the impeller need to be replaced ?

Comment

The impeller shouldn't make much noise, unless it is running dry. If you have an overheating situation, you should check the impeller first.

Tech Support

Comment

Noise getting better

The whinning noise is definately getting quieter, and the overheating thing seems to be better too (happiness) tomorrow will be the real test, we have a 10 hr ride planned. So far i am happy with your product.

Comment

I see you posted in another thread, did your engine overheat on you during your trip? Have you looked at the impeller yet?

Tech Support

Comment

Still heating up

Well the weekend was good the drives are now almost as quiet as the OE's.
                The problem is at idle speed in gear the port side engine is heating up, once the RPM's are up around 800 it cools quickly. The starboard side is fine.

Comment

Have you taken a look at the impeller yet?

Tech Support

Comment

Have not pulled it out yet

I haven't had a chance to pull the boat out yet, but i will. The problem is definately something to do with the new drive itself because the problem didn't start until i installed the new drive. The o-ring for the water intake between the drive and the gimbal assembly was correctly placed for sure.

Comment

Thanks, and i will keep you up to date.

Comment

Working...
                      X