sterndrive make helicopter nois

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sterndrive make helicopter nois

My sterndrive started making a helicopter noise so I sent the lower unit to be repaired by SEI. They concluded that the reverse gear was locked and replaced some gears, the clutch and water pump. I got lower unit back and it still makes the same noise. Upon recommendation from a technician at SEI I check the prop and it did have a bad hub. So I got the hub replaced and now it still make the same noise, but it is softer. I posted two videos on youtube with the old hub and the new hub. I did open the top of the upper unit and the gear look good. Is it possible that there still is something wrong with the sterndrive or what else would make that noise. I am posting the two links and I would appreciate some suggestions. It is a 5.7 L with and alpha 1.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x4uRUq29J3c
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sF9VTOwk2Xw

are you sure your gimbal bearing is right? Seated in deep enough and move freely? Something is definity wrong that for sure....

Comment

The gimbal bearing is new and is seated corrected and spins freely.

Comment

Was the gimbal bearing replaced as part of the diagnostics of the noise? In other words, it made the noise with the old and new bearing? When you say the bearing is seated properly, it it actually recessed in its bore an 1/8 to a 1/4 inch? If you didn't use the right tool, and just have the bearing flush with the gimbal housing, then you will end up pushing the driveshaft into the upper and actually preloading the upper bearings more than what they are supposed to be. That could definately make that noise. Does the sound change at all when turning?

I guess it is possible that there is a problem with the bearing pack in the upper, even if the bearing is in all the way. You only sent back the lower, right?

Tech Support

Comment

I only sent the lower unit, not the upper. It sounds the same whether going straight or turning. The gimbal bearing was replaced before I received my new lower and upper units.

Comment

Well, then I guess the best thing would be to send that upper back Call the warranty department with the serial number. When you pull the drive off though, double check that the gimbal bearing is installed all the way, and is recessed into its bore.

Tech Support

Comment

gimbal

what did you install it with and is it seated showing about a 1/8 inch gap.
              2E-6 this link http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hse2.pdf

Comment

We used a tool designed for a car bearing that helped us hit it in evenly. I remember it being seated showing a gap. Is it possible that the bearing has shifted? I will have to pull the boat and check this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                X