Switching to closed cooling, Intake Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Switching to closed cooling, Intake Question

Hi, I have a SEI 106, replacing my old Alpha 1. I will be putting in a new engine and switching to closed cooling. The problem, very few full systems work with 106's or Alpha 1s. I will be using a thru hull intake at the bottom of the boat. The Question? Do I need to keep the impellor in the 106. I will not be needing to pump any water into the engine. Could it the water be used for something else like a drive shower? Or Could I take the impellor out and let the raw water pump pull through the 106 like it would through a bravo drive? Thanks Roman

I would leave the impeller in the drive,and as you pointed out, you could somehow fashion a drive shower out of it. Alternatively, you could just cut the water hose that runs from the bell housing to the gimbal housing. Then just make sure to cap the pipe that goes through the transom assembly.

Tech Support

Comment

do you have a seawater pump

how are you getting water to cool the heat exchanger ? are you installing a seawater pump on the engine? if not leave the impellar in and plumb the inlet water hose to the heat exchanger . if you are useing a seawqater punp you can leave the impellar out just install the pump housing back in place also use a blockoff plate at the water inlet fitting( inboerd were the hose connects to the transom assembly)
      Boat Tech67

Comment

Much better to leave the impeller in to help cool the drive.just cut the hose underneath and cap the inside.

Comment

Will have Sea water Pump

I will have a seawater pump that will be drawing water from a thruhull. Looking over the drive, there is a tube that send the water up to the top of the drive and into the gimbal housing and into the boat. I am not sure how much coolong that provides. The entire drive sits inthe water and this is in lake superior.
          Thanks again Roman

Comment

Near the Apostle Islands. RS

Comment

Working...
            X