Shift shaft washer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift shaft washer

Instructions for SE 106 lower unit does not mention the stainless washer that was used on shift shaft and seated on bushing to prevent the shift shaft from working up and down. I have installed a washer and cotter pin on the brass Shift coupling . When assembled to the upper unit I see a lot of space between the bell housing "shift channel" and the brass shift "shoe". It almost looks like it could slip out because it is not completely seated and can move up and down. I have never seen this on a Merc. Drive. They are always tight. Therefore the question about a washer acting as a shim to reduce the space.

The SS washer on the splined shaft is required to set the height of the "shoe"

Comment

The OE uses a shift bushing to take up that space. It is not needed and once the drive is assembled and installed on the boat, it will not move around.

Tech Support

Comment

Shift shaft washer

Please clarify. Bt Doctor says SS washer sets height of shoe. Admin. says no, that when assembled clearance is correct.
        I have assembled the two halves and installed it on the bell housing but when looking at the shift channel and mating shoe they only engage 1/2 or less. OE always went together completely.

Comment

Ahh, i misread your question, I thought you were talking about the fit of the brass lever to the upper unit housing, but now I understand that you are talking about the ditance from the top of the brass shift lever to the mating piece on the bell housing.

BT Doctur is correct that the SS washer sitting on the lower unit is what sets the height. I have attached an image showing that. The other washer and cotter pin only stops the shift shaft from pulling all the way out, but has nothing to do with setting the height.

Make sure that washer shown in the picture is there. If not, you will surely have shifting problems. If it is there, then the shift shaft will not be able to move down at all, so it falling out of the channel should not be a concern.

Tech Support

Comment

Shift shaft washer

OK, now I think that we are getting on the same track. Is that SS washer supplied in the kit ? I went out and shot a picture of what I meant for fit. I tried to attach pic but was not sure it was accepted. Size was reduced.

Comment

Shift shaft washer

I have used this style forum response but did not get the picture thru ? What do I have to do ? Ha,Ha....Guess I got it !

Comment

If you bought a complete, the washer is included and already installed on the lower. I guess it is possible that it may have fallen off. Does it feel real solid when you push down on it? If it feels spongy, that would indicate the washer is not there.

If the washer is there, it does seem to be sitting a little low. Sometimes when putting the lower on with the upper still attached to the boat, you can get the shift lever so it is sitting on the low part of the channel instead of inside it, then when you bolt the lower up, it will actually crush that washer.

I would recommend pulling the lower, make sure the washer is there and flat. If needed, you could shim it up a little bit.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
                  If you bought a complete, the washer is included and already installed on the lower. I guess it is possible that it may have fallen off. Does it feel real solid when you push down on it? If it feels spongy, that would indicate the washer is not there.

If the washer is there, it does seem to be sitting a little low. Sometimes when putting the lower on with the upper still attached to the boat, you can get the shift lever so it is sitting on the low part of the channel instead of inside it, then when you bolt the lower up, it will actually crush that washer.

I would recommend pulling the lower, make sure the washer is there and flat. If needed, you could shim it up a little bit.

Tech Support
                  Yup ! I will pull the unit. Don't want to have a problem. I was alone so I had secured the channel and shoe together when assembling, that way I am sure that it did not get out of the channel and crush "the washer". If there was one. I did purchase both kits and a complete drive. If the washer is missing can you give me the dimensions ?

Comment

you install the lower unit just enough to catch the front nut 2 turns to hold the lower in place.install the lower shoe onto the splined shaft first,making sure it`s in a straight line. with unit and control box in full fwd ,raise the drive up to match the upper shoe.If the lower shoe is not installed correctly or it dosent make with the upper correctly the splined shaft is driven downward and can cause damage to the selector in this pic by bending it.
                    Last edited by Bt Doctur; 09-16-2010, 07:11 PM.

Comment

shift shaft washer

Horrible picture ! Thanks Doc for giving me something ELSE to think about ! Ha,Ha. I'm going to drop the drive and hope the washer is missing. I did use your procedure in starting a nut just enough to hold the unit in place and line up the splined shaft. This is not the first time I have done this procedure but it has been a while.

Comment

shift shaft washer

Originally posted by Stillcrazy 36 View Post
                        Horrible picture ! Thanks Doc for giving me something ELSE to think about ! Ha,Ha. I'm going to drop the drive and hope the washer is missing. I did use your procedure in starting a nut just enough to hold the unit in place and line up the splined shaft. This is not the first time I have done this procedure but it has been a while.
                        Well I dropped the lower and the washer was there.The SS washer was flat and not distorted..BUT there was no rubber washer under it. . I purchased and installed the rubber washer part #31266. I put the units together and it looks better but it is still not the tight fit that I am used to seeing. ?? Should I add another SS washer as a shim ?

Comment

A "tight fit" could cause it to bind. I have never seen or worked on one that was tight to begin with. Most have about a 1/8th inch up and down play.

Comment

Shift shaft washer

Your definition of "Tight" obviously is different than mine. Mine is "engaged sufficiently" that it doesn't look like it is going to fall out, but that is all prittle prattal. The question was, "Is this acceptable?" The admin. suggests a "shim" to make up the difference. IF the SEI drive is supposed to have the rubber washer installed on the shift shaft and did not, it brings up the question about the assembly.
                            I'll go on and accept your tolerance for the fit, an 1/8th. inch up or down.
                            Thanks for the discussion. I've been away from Mercs for a while.

Comment

Working...
                            X