SE 106 Water in Oil

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE 106 Water in Oil

I installed a SE 106 Upper from you 18 months ago. I still have my Mercury lower unit. The engine got hot, tested many thing determined the seawater pump plastic tube was melted, impeller was good and the housing was blistered. I rebuilt the w/p, gaskets, new impeller, new plastic tube etc. After rebuild, w/p pumps but with very low volume and low pressure. What do you think is the problem?

Also how is the water getting into the oil? New oil passage seal. Could the two upper D/S seals be bad? On your SE 106 upper how many upper D/S seals do you put in and where may I get them. Will OEM seals match or are yours something different?

Thanks Larry
    Last edited by Bt Doctur; 09-16-2010, 07:14 PM. Reason: phone and email

The reason the plastic tube was melted is from the motor overheating or at least the exhaust water not making it out of the engine. If the impeller was good, then it would have to be something on the engine blocking the water from getting to it, or getting out of the engine. If your manifolds or engine block are plugged up with rust and scale, then that might be your problem. I would start by removing manifold plugs and engine bluck plugs and seeing what comes out. if nothing comes out, then poke around with an awl type tool to see if you get anything.

There are a few seals on the upper, all will work with the OE parts. There are more seals on the lower though. Without pressure testing the drive, it is hard to say where the water is getting in. I would pull the complete drive off to verify that you have no water getting into the bellows, becasue once water is in the bellows, it can easily get into the drive.

Tech Support

Comment

Depending on how hot it got the water pump base seals may have been damaged from the heat or the base could be warped.

Comment

Working...
      X