Shift box set up for SEI 106

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift box set up for SEI 106

I purchased a complete assembly, upper and lower and all the kits. I cannot set up the shift correctly. I have done many in the past. I tried the 6",bottom of the slot method and when that didn't work I searched the Internet to refresh my mind and got 20 more pages on how to do it. Mostly the same. The problem seems to be that a 2 7/8-3" throw on the remote cable is required (which I have) but if the box is set up for 3" throw that is too much for the drive cable. I have set it up for the alternate 2 1/2" throw but that is no better. By moving only the drive cable to F-N-R I get a good shift but that is only about 1 1/8" throw on the drive cable and With the anchor in the bottom of the slot, that cannot be acheived.
    What should the throw be set at for the Shift box ?
    I even changed out shift boxes and tried a Ultraflex box without success.

A couple of questions for you, so I can think about it some more.

When you say 3 inches is too much for the drive, what is happening? Do you have the engine running, and it is hitting the shift cutout and stalling the engine? Is it doing it in both forward and reverse?

You also mention that you get a good shift on the drive if you are just moving the cable manualy, but it only moves about 1-1/8. is that with the engine running?

Thanks,

Tech Support

Comment

Mercuiser Step 1-Remote control must provide a "shift" cable travel (at shift plate) of 2 7/8" to 3 1/8" So ORIGINAL shift box was set up in outside hole (3")
      The engine has not been started. The "remote shift" cable is not attached to the shift plate for the first measurement. The "drive" cable was pushed toward the stern and prop turned to find Forward. The cable was marked and then Neutral and last the Reverse position(and marked) this distance is 1 1/8-1/4 " The Drive cable was then pushed back into Forward, the barrel adjusted to 6" and attached to the shift plate. Moving it F-N-R Then I checked the travel that would be necessary for the top (Remote) cable to move. It looks like something less than 2". thus the question," what should the shift box be set at?"
      Now with the "Drive" cable installed on the lever in the lowest position of the slot,a 2 1/2" or 3" travel from the shift box is to much. The drive locks, no ratchet.

Comment

In trying to clarify the question this may or may not help. I have attached a sketch of the relationship of the "remote shift cable" travel to the "drive shift cable". The first case I shifted the drive into F-N-R, finding the spots where the prop ratched in one direction and locked in the other. I marked the cable in both F and R, identifying the travel limits of the drive.shift points. I then transfered that measurement to a sketch and determined what the Remote shift cable travel should be. There is no setting short enough in a Merc or Ultraflex box to attain it. The second case used the 3" setting on the shift box and then I slid down the attach point to where the travel matched. Which was way below anchor point'. When I exceed the oints marked on the cable the drive locks in BOTH directions.The only reason I did this exercise was because I couldn't understand why the original shift box couldn't be set up to work with the new drive.
        Attached is the vector sketch

Comment

I would suggest setting up the cable at the 6 inches in full forward and then assembling your control back to the way it was. Then adjust the control cable to fit in the shift bracket while still in full forward and of course with the control box in forward. Then make sure the prop is clear and fire the engine up. If there is an issue as far as the amount of travel, it will stall when you put it in reverse. Forward would probably be okay. Let me know what it does.

I will be by our test boat this weekend, so I can do some measuring on it, but I would like to know if the engine is stalling first. By the sound of it, you have not ran it at all yet. With it running, it will allow the clutch to travel fully into both gears and eliminate the possibility of getting the clutch teeth on top of the teeth on the gears.

Tech Support

Comment

adjusting the cables

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Techbk/94/94hsa2.pdf

Comment

Originally posted by admin View Post
              I would suggest setting up the cable at the 6 inches in full forward and then assembling your control back to the way it was. Then adjust the control cable to fit in the shift bracket while still in full forward and of course with the control box in forward. Then make sure the prop is clear and fire the engine up. If there is an issue as far as the amount of travel, it will stall when you put it in reverse. Forward would probably be okay. Let me know what it does.

I will be by our test boat this weekend, so I can do some measuring on it, but I would like to know if the engine is stalling first. By the sound of it, you have not ran it at all yet. With it running, it will allow the clutch to travel fully into both gears and eliminate the possibility of getting the clutch teeth on top of the teeth on the gears.

Tech Support
              I did some more checking yesterday and the problem may be trying to adjust the cables with the engine not running. Since the instructions say to "Turn the prop while pushing the cable in for forward" I think that I have accepted the "soft" shift points for forward and reverse. That is the area where the clutch just engages in one direction and EASILY ratchets in the other. Further travel gives a solid engagement and a HARD ratchet or lockup, but it gives a longer overall travel . I will reset the shift to 3" and run the engine with the basic 6" setting at the farthest travel. Heavy rain expected this weekend. Soooo

Comment

Thanks, I already have that pdf. and a bunch more. I guess I am just being to carefull with a new drive. The set up is simple, but i haven't done it in at least 10 years.

Comment

Working...
                X