fillings in drain plug

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fillings in drain plug

I recently purchased a se106 outdrive. It had what I assumed was the usual break-in noise (high-pitched whining).After about 2-hours of running over a period of 20 days-(short runs to fishing grnds and trolling with outboard) the whining took on a more grinding sound. Pulled boat & drained the outdrive.--No water -but there was a fair amount of fillings on the magnetic drain plug. Question-How much is too much.

There can be a fair bit of metal. The important thing is that there are no chunks. You might want to shoot some grease in the gimbal bearing and see if the noise changes. If it does, then that might indicate you are getting water in the bellows and into the gimbal bearing. Most people describe a bad gimbal bearing as a growl.

Tech Support

Comment

More info on fillings

Ran boat Outdrive for about another hour-Put up with noise and grinding--short-runs at low RPM's . No fish anyway so I pulled boat and drained and removed the outdrive. The drain plug magnet had collected maximum fillings. The universal joint was in good shape-tight & bright (no water). Called factory-got return info and shipped it back. Did not crack the case to see what was happening. dnakam

Comment

More info on fillings

Ran boat Outdrive for about another hour-Put up with noise and grinding--short-runs at low RPM's . No fish anyway so I pulled boat and drained and removed the outdrive. The drain plug magnet had collected maximum fillings. The universal joint was in good shape-tight & bright (no water). Called factory-got return info and shipped it back. Did not crack the case to see what was happening. dnakam

Comment

Working...
        X