grinding while idleing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• grinding while idleing

I just installed a se 106 lower unit and it shifts fine and turns the prop but when it is idleing it make a grinding noise almost like its not all the way in gear. Could this be just a vable out of adjustment or something more complex.

Interested in solution

I too am having this issue. I recently installed a SE106 and when the boat is idling in nuetral it has a noticable grinding noise. When I shift into forward or reverse, it goes away....

I do not want to use the boat if this is causing damage or a part (like a gimbal bearing, maybe) is getting ready to fail.

Comment

mine is the opposite its fine in neutral but grinds in forward or reverse...and it only does it when i throttle off.

Comment

Most people describe the gimbal bearing as a growl. It should growl all the time and might be slightly worse when turning. How many hours are on the units and what does the drain plug look like? It has a magnet on the bottom plug, so it will catch any particles. You want to be sure there are no chunks of metal.

Concerning a noise only in neutral, it might just be that the driveshaft is down. The driveshaft is a floating driveshaft, and requires a load to pop up into position.

If you are concerned, please contact the warrant department. We would be happy to take a look at it for you.

Tech support

Comment

Its not a growl its a grind. I think its the cable needs adjusting or atleast am hopeing. The lower unit just came back from from warrenty repair for a bad shift spool and the warrenty runs out in december.

Comment

Does it grind when going into gear? Email tech@sterndrive.cc and ask for the shift cable adjustment document. That will help you get it adjusted properly.

Tech support

Comment

Yes is grinds when going into gear more so in forward than reverse.....and then while you throttle up it sounds ok but when you let off the throttle you can it it almost sounds like its ratcheting....also if you shut it off while its in gear you can hear it

Comment

The ratcheting sound that you here when rapidly coming off throttle is normal. It is essentially the boat moving faster through the water than the prop is spinning, so the prop ratchets. Same as if you put the boat in gear, with the engine not running, and rotated the prop. One way it would lock, and the other way would ratchet.

You should still check your adjustment, which I just emailed to you.

Tech Support

Comment

Ok I got the instructions thanks....You said the ratchting is normal in the water but its not in the water its in my driveway. I think that i need to replace one of the control cables because when i adjust it accordint to what you sent me It locks into forward almost as soon as you push the lever forward. but if you push the leer all the way forward the engine stalls due the the interupt switch. Also you have to push the lever all the way backwards before reverse locks in and then it doesnt seem to lock all the way in. I hear the ratcheting sound in reverse but not forward. Also with the motor not running I manually turn the prop and forward has quite a bit of resistance when turning the prop clockwise and reverse has almost no reisistance when going counter clockwise. they both lock going in opposite directions though. I then readjusted the remote control cable back to where it was originally with the brass barell all the way against the cable sheath and it shifts to forward and reverse but both seen to have that ratcheting sound and theres a vibration in the outdrive. I think either the lower unit shift cable or the the remote shift cable needs replaced any thoughts on the situation or ideas where to go from here or which cable to start with.

Comment

As you doing the 6 inch adjustment on the correct cable? What you should do is put the control in forward, then remove both cables from the bracket. Then push the cable that goes to the drive all the way in. Also have a helper rotate the prop counter clockwise so that it is fully engaged in forward. Then set that cable to 6 inches center to center and install on the shift bracket. Then adjust the cable coming from the remote control so that it will install on the shift bracket without moving the mounting points. If you do it like this, it should not stall when in forward.

Then check the ratcheting pressure in both forward and reverse. It should be equal pressure, or favoring forward.

Let me know what you find out.

Tech Support

Comment

That is the way I did it also the reverse adjust post was all the wy towards the stern and when i adjust it fully so the cable is pule to the max in reverse it barely goes in reverse and the ratcheitng is very weak for reverse...I suspect a cable but soem one also said i need to adjust neutral but I have never heard of this before...

Comment

You should be able to adjust the cable coming from the remote control a little at a time so it moves the other cable closer to reverse. That should help even it out a little bit.

New cables can't hurt, as when all those components get old they become sloppy and will definately cause some shifting issues. The remote can get sloppy also.

Tech Support

Comment

I was able to get the cable adjusted and it goes into both gears normally and there is and equal amount of ratcheting in both gears. My only concern or ponder now is there is kinda a shimmy or a shake in the outdrive when at idle and its not all the time once in a while and only in idle never when the throttle is past idle it kinda goes side to side i gues the best way to describe it is kinda like a motor thats stalling out how it goes side to side....I am kinda new to boats and just wonder how concerning this should be....

Comment

Possibly the idle on the engine is low? That might make the drive shake a little bit.

I wouldn't be to concerned with it. Put some time on it, and keep an eye on it.

Tech Support

Comment

ok thank you

Comment

Working...
                              X