Break in period.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Break in period.

I'm a little fuzzy on the break-in procedure. I just installed a complete counter-rotating drive to replace the port drive on my 1989 Carver Santego. I'm led to believe that the size of the boat is at the maximum of the alpha drive type unit. If I keep under the 3500 rpm, does that mean I should not burden the drive and try to go up on plane? A regular plane would be at 3800 and 30 mph. At less rpm, I burn more fuel and hence, feel the engines are more laboured. What should I do given that my hull speed is maintained at around 1500rpm. Would the extra load at 3500 rpm be detrimental to the break-in?

In your case, if possible, i would start at 1000 rpm for an hour, then 1500 for an hour, 2000 for an hour, 2500 for an hour. Then go aheadand get the Boat on plane and back off to 3000 for a couple of hours, then 3500 for an hour. Basically you want to slowly increase the amount of power you apply over the first 5 hours or so. Between 5 and 10 hours, you can do some side open throttle for 20 or 30 seconds, then go back down to 3500 or in your case 3800 if you want to cruise.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X