Shift issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift issue

I've recently purchased and installed an SE106 complete outdrive for 1985 Merc350 V8 260hp. Before taking boat out in water, i wanted to check n see if shifting was ok. Shifted good until i've put on the earmuff and had the engine started. Into fwd gear no problem.. but engine shuts down when shifted into Reverse from nuetral. Any idea why?

On shoe, the switch should never avtivate, since there is no load on the prop. In the water, the switch should only activate when shifting out of gear.

You must have something putting some tension on the shift system causing the switch to trip. Was the boat running this year with the old drive, or has the boat been sitting. The first thought is that the brass shift lever is not lined up properly, so when you shift from neutral to reverse, you are actually trying to drive the clutch into the reverse gear, causing the tension and making the switch activate. This is easy to check. With the boat off and the drive in neutral, can you spin the prop both ways? Then put the shifter in forward. The prop should lock counter clockwise and ratchet clockwise. Reverse should do the opposite.

Also when installing the complete drive, are you sure the shift slide and roller in the bell housing were lined up properly?

If the boat has been sitting, the cable might be semi frozen, requiring more effort and because of the effort required it is activating the switch.

Tech Support

Comment

Yes, I did make sure everthing was lined up properly and before running the engine, i've checked if prop spins both ways in neutral, locks ccw ratchet cw in forward, opposite in reverse.
      It's been about a year since the boat was in water.....Do i need to replace the shift cable if it's semi frozen?

Comment

Sounds like the shift adjustment is slightly off killing the engine when going into reverse instead of fwd. For me these often behave differenty in the water vs out due to load on the prop. A turn or two on the shift cable adjustment might do it. I usually get it set in the driveway then recheck/adjust in the water. If you cant get it right then the shift cable may need replacing and then adjusting. They sell a special socket for these which I recommend getting.
        The mercruiser manual has the procedure, can also be found online. I didn't check to see if SEI has it posted someplace.

Originally posted by sillyboi633 View Post
        Yes, I did make sure everthing was lined up properly and before running the engine, i've checked if prop spins both ways in neutral, locks ccw ratchet cw in forward, opposite in reverse.
        It's been about a year since the boat was in water.....Do i need to replace the shift cable if it's semi frozen?

Comment

Did the amount of tension when ratcheting the prop feel equal in both directions? If reverse is much tighter than fwd, then that could indicate the shift adjustment is off. If not, then I would say it is time to replace the cable.

Tech Support

Comment

Ok, I'll check on them tensions. Then Replace cable if can't get it right by adjusting.
            Thank you guys for the education. I'm new to boating, this will be my third season in heaven, if can solve this matter.

Comment

Working...
            X