SE106 for 1969 Merc 160?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SE106 for 1969 Merc 160?

I'd like to replace the outdrive on a 1969 Mercruiser 160 inline 6. I'm trying to follow all of the specific footnotes on the SE106 application guide for the 160 and have ended up with some questions about whether or not it would fit based on the criteria for this old configuration.

1. First, I have trim and tilt with 2 hoses to each cylinder. That should pass one hurdle.
    2. The length of the input yoke is 8 1/8 inch. So old style yoke. No surprise there.
    3. The spline count is what is confusing. The shaft coming out of the top of the lower half has 8 splines. According to the lower Note #1 on the Application Guide, this means I need a complete unit. Still no surprise.
    4. The upper Note #3 says if you're between 1967-1969 you must verify that you have 13 splines on your upper driveshaft. My friend just went home (outdrive is at his house) and counted the splines on the short yoke and the vertical shaft coming out of the lower unit. The short yoke to the engine has 17 splines. Is this the "upper driveshaft" that this note refers to? I know later models had 13 splines on the vertical shaft coming out of the lower half so I'm wondering if this is the shaft referred to. Will the "old style" yoke have 17 splines? If not, will the 8 1/8 inch yoke on the old drive work when swapped?
    Thanks

The note for the upper splines is referring to the lower driveshaft again. In other words, if you wanted to replace just the upper, and you had 8 splines, it wouldn't work.

Our drive will work for you.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X