Unable to mate bottom half of drive with top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unable to mate bottom half of drive with top

I just got done replacing a bad impeller with a new pump housing kit and I'm having problems attaching the bottom half of the drive with the top. I can't tell if its getting stuck on the copper tube or the drive shaft. I did put the plastic guide tube over the copper pipe. When I installed the impeller I rotated the shaft to make sure it was going in the right direct, but since I did that do I need to rotate the shaft until it lines up with the upper part? Any other ideas as to what the problem could be? Thanks.

One other thing to note, when I took the lower half off I had the boat in neutral. I had a very hard time getting off, and I'm not sure if this could be the cause. I saw some videos on You Tube after I had it off that for the Mercruiser Alpha 1 it had to be in Drive when you seperate them. I didn't see anything about that for the SE106 so I just wanted to make sure that isn't part of the problem.

Comment

Having the drive in forward when removing the just the lower unit makes it easier for reassembly. If your removing the complete drive, upper and lower, then it has to be in forward, unless it is a counter rotating unit. (Dual Engine Boat) It is not to late to do it, just put the shifter into forward, then rotate the shift shaft on the lower clockwise while turning the prop shaft counter clockwise. This will lock the lower unit into forward. I would also wrap a bungee cord around the prop to keep some tension on it in a counter clockwise rotation. Then stick your head under the gimbal housing outside the boat and look for the brass shift lever. Turn it so it lines up with the shift shaft in the transom assembly.

When you are putting the lower back in, it will be nessasary to rotate the prop counter clockwise slightly. This will turn the driveshaft so the splines will line up with the upper unit. Also the brass shift lever must fall into the splines on the lower, so keep an eye on that as well. As you bring the lower up, the shifter should go into the shift shaft on the transom assembly.

Tech Support

Comment

My saga continues. I followed those steps and was somehow able to get it on, but the drain plug problem I was having forced me to take it off again. Now that I have that problem fixed I'm putting it back on again and I'm back to the same problem getting the lower back on. I looked up in at the upper and noticed that there's a seal that has broken where the shaft should go and it may be stopping it from going in. That looks like it keeps the oil from draining down so I guess I get to replace another part (I wish I would have just taken it to a repair shop but I'm already knee deep in it). Can you let me know the part number for that and any other advice you could give me :)

Comment

That happens sometimes. The seal is easy to damage if you bring the lower up at the wrong angle and hit it. I would suggest removing the upper from the boat. This will allow you to acces that seal through the exhaust cavity. Then use a long flat head screwdriver to try to pry it out. If you cannot get it out, then it will need to be disassembled and removed from the top. That is best done by a shop.

The seal you need is 96503 1 it should be available at any Mercury dealer. To install the seal, you will need to find a large socket that will seat against the seal. Make sure to put the seal the proper direction. It is opposite of what makes sense. the visible metal spring should be pointing up as though it is trying to keep oil in. It has another seal further up, that is actually keeping the oil in, but it is not visible. Use the socket and long extension to tap it in flush with the case.

Now that the upper is off the boat, it will be much easier to put the halves together, then put it on the boat. When I don't have a drive stand available, I like to put the upper upside down on the ground, resting on the top cover. Then you install the lower down onto the upper. It will be much easier to keep everything lined up like this. Of course you have to do all the other stuff, like make sure the unit is in forward, make sure the watertube lines up properly, and make sure the shift lever lines up with the splines.

You will also need a new gasket set for putting the complete drive back on the boat. That part number is 9499Q 2 although it may have been updated. A mercury dealer can look it up though.

Then put the drive on as you did before, or if you had it done by some one else, then reference our install guide. It is pretty simple, just make sure the shift lever lines up and the shift slide has the roller in the groove. You will also need to do the prop turning trick when putting the drive on the boat, If it ends up with the splines not lined up(which is everytime) just turn the prop counter clockwise a little bit and that will turn the splines some and it will go in the rerst of the way.

Here is a link to the install manual: http://www.sterndrive.cc/pdfs/se106_se116_install.pdf

We do have all of the parts available for purchase if you want to order them from us. Just call us at 813-925-7127 and someone would gladly take your order.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
          X