Intermediate Shift Shaft assembly question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intermediate Shift Shaft assembly question

I have questions regarding the order of assembly regarding the intermediate shift shaft (the brass shaft). When I disassembled my SEI 106, I noted that there were two washers associated with the shift shaft and a cotter pin. I had to remove the cotter pin first in order to finish disassembling the drives. I'm assuming that I have to partially assmble the two halves in order to put in a new cotter pin.

1) What material is that cotter pin? Stainless?Alluminum? I don't like to reuse cotter pins.

2) I mentioned TWO washers. One is clearly the stainless steel washer that sits at the bottom of the shift lever in order to set the height. My question is on the OTHER washer. The OTHER washer is slightly larger in diameter than the shift lever and slides over it easily (except at the top of course). I see this same washer in all the replacement kits sold in the market. Where does this washer go???

So in order to reassemble the drive, I place the first stainless washer at the bottom of the shift lever (on top of the lower half), partially install the top half of the drive, install the shift lever, insert the cotter pin, finish closing the two halves. Where in this sequence does that other washer go?

The cotter pin is stainless. No problem reusing it as it is not super critical. The washer that has a 3/8 hole in it goes on top of the shift busing and sets the height as you suggested. The other washer sits on top of the cotter pin, between the pin and the upper casing.

The way i do it, is turn the upper upside down, insert the bass shift shaft in the proper orientation. Drop the washer down over the brass shift shaft, then insert the cotter pin.

Sorry for the late reply, I just noticed it.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks!!!

I think that's the way I found it when I took it apart but it didn't seem right. It essentially free floats above the cotter pin and the top half then? Any idea what the purpose is for? Seems alomost useless.

Don't worry though, I will reinstall as suggested. Wanted to make sure I was doing it right.

Thanks again!!

Comment

Working...
      X