Noise and shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Noise and shifting

My mechanic just installed the complete 106 and we had it in the water for the first time yesterday to start breaking it in. When the steering was fully to either the right or left there was a rythmic noise that sounded like the prop was knocking on something. This occurred both at higher and low speeds.

Also, when shifting out of neutral there's an inordinate amount of distance that the throttle needs to be moved before the boat starts to accelerate forward. The throttle also seems tighter (harder to move) than before. Is this just a throttle adjustment the mechanic should do??

You should double check the prop to make sure it is tight. Usually when you have noise when it is all the way left or right it is a u-joint. Seeing as it is brand new that shouldn't be an issue. Keep an eye on it though and see if it changes.

The amount of travel from neutral to throttling up is determined by the remote control. I don't believe installing a new drive could change that.

As remotes get older they get sploppy, so possibly that is the case here?

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

noise update

I still get noise when turning hard to either left or right (loud noise at high speeds, rythmic thumping at low speed). My mechanic checked prop & it's tight. U joints are fine. He even pulled the engine to check mounts, etc. & with the exception of tighting up some bolt that was marginally loose everything was fine.

Any other thoughts? For what it's worth, the sound seems like (but may not be) the prop is hitting on something.

By the way, my mechanic is an authorized mercruiser guy and he was a bit hesitant when I bought from you instead of a new merc drive. But, he was really impressed with the drive and feels it's working perfectly.

Comment

Has the noise changed at all? how many hours have you put on it? I don't think the prop should be hitting anything. It sounds like the mechanic checked everything. I guess just keep an eye on it, and if it gets worse let us know.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

No, the noise hasn't changed. I read somewhere else about a bad gimbal bearing could cause noise when turning hard to either side. I don't know what that is, but what do you think?

Comment

A bad gimbal bearing normally growls all the time, Plus I would assume that the mechanic checked that while he had the drive off. The way to check it is to rotate it by hand, and if you feel any bumps or rough spots that means it is bad. It should be perfectly smooth.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X