complete out drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• complete out drive

Here is the problem, I was about 1 1/2 miles from the dock. The 1986 Sea Ray I recently purchased for $750 bogged down going about 35 mph then started making the classical gimbal bearing problem noises, when I turned blower on smoke was coming out of vents with a burning electrical smell. I limped back going 3mph We thought I had lost a rod but when we got home we used a garden hose to run motor and found noise was coming from the sterndrive. I used your sterndrive removal instructions (very useful) I didnt find rust on u-joints just about 5 oz of milky water in bellows, gimbal bearing came off with shaft, when it spins it wobbles but that could have happened with removal.Bearing housing has notches every 1/8 of an inch.Is this normal? There is a rubber boot motor side behind gimbal bearing that feels brittle.Should I replace and if I Should how hard will it be.The sterndrive looks as old as the boat Serial #A699872 Motor model# MCM140 Serial#B430087 what kind of price am I looking at for the complete out drive? Sorry for the long story

Usually the smoke would be related to the coupler going out. Was the engine revving but the boat not going anywhere? It is also possible that you broke something in the drive which caused the water pump to not be pumping. Then the smoke was most likely from melting the exhaust bellows that mount to the exhaust manifolds. If that was the case I don't think you would be able to limp home at all.

If you indeed need a new drive you can look up the pricing and shipping cost on our online store. You would need the SE106 1.98 ratio drive.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

complete out drive

I was able to move but rear was making alot of noise more so when turning in either direction.When I do replace out drive can I use garden hose to rev engine to say about 25 mph? Will I be able to replace gimbal bearing myself? There is a 3 month waiting list to get into shop

Comment

Do you mean gan you rev the engine up on the garden hose? If so the answer is yes, but don't go over 2500 rpm or so. The gimbal bearing needs to be removed with a special puller. You may have sucess using a slide hammer. To reinstall there is also a special tool. You may be able to make up a tool that would work. Just make sure that you are pushing on the outside of the bearing(the carrier). Do not push on the bearing itself or you will damage it.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X