overheating at idle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• overheating at idle

I installed a new SE 106 at the beginning of last season. I ran it all summer with no problems. I changed the gear lube at 10 hrs. as recommended, and again when winterizing. I put it on the hose this weekend and found that it began overheating after a few minutes. In the water, I found that it still overheats at idle, but is fine underway. I'm thinking that it sounds like an impeller. What do you think?

Yes, it does sound like the impeller. If you run in shallow water much, the dirt going through the pump can put grooves on the edges of the blade causing the low speed overheat. It could have taken a set over the off season as well.

Tech Support
    Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Assuming that the impeller is the problem, can I take the pump apart and replace just the impeller or do I need the gaskets and/or other parts?

Comment

I would recommend changing the gaskets as well.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

The engine I installed the drive on is a 1985 Mercruiser 260R 5.7L small block. Does this engine have a seawater pump? Could that be the problem as well?

Comment

The engine should not have an engine mounted pump unless it was originally for a Bravo or Inboard application. The first thing to try is a new impeller and then see where you and up temperature wise.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X