Prop won't fit your lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Prop won't fit your lower unit

Hello, I just installed the SE106 Lower unit onto my Merc Alph I Gen I upper. The unit went in nicely and I'm very pleased with the fit and finish. I have two questions:
    First, My old lower unit was fitted with a pair of plastic DOEL-FINs. I'm not sure why they were installed since they were on the 1986 WellCraft 19.6 ft bow rider when I bought it last year. should I put them back on? To install them I will have to drill holes into the right and left horizontal ribs that are near the top of the new lower unit.

Second, When I damaged my old lower unit I also bent the SS prop that was on it. The prop was a Michigan 14 X 19 Stainless Steel. Since I need a new prop I bought one of your Solas Amita 3 Aluminum props 14.5 X 19. There was a large spacer / washer with a tapered center hole installed on the old prop shaft in front of the SS prop. The taper in this washer matches the taper on the new prop shaft. If I install this in front of the Solas and bolt it up the prop then the blads hit the small fin that hangs from above just behind the prop. If I take this spacer out then the new prop clears but it looks to me that this washer should be in there. Did I by the wrong prop?

Thanks,
    Brian

You can drill holes and mount your doel-fin if you like. You must have the spacer washer (prop thrust washer) in place in front of the prop. You will need to cut down the trim tab so it does not hit.

Tech Support

Comment

"You must have the spacer washer (prop thrust washer) in place in front of the prop. You will need to cut down the trim tab so it does not hit."

I'm not sure I like this idea. I would have to take a good size bit out of it to get enough clearance. Shouldn't this prop fit your out drive with out modifications? Did I buy the wrong prop for this drive? What is your return policy?
      Brian

Comment

There is an anode plate available as opposed to the trim tab. We do not make it, but the Mercury number is 76214Q5. If you have power steering you can use this flat plate. Or as suggested you can cut part or all of the fin off and it will work fine.

The prop is correct.

Tech Support
        Brunswick Corporation is the original equipment manufacturer (OEM). Sterndrive Engineering, Inc. (or SEI) is not affiliated with the Brunswick Corporation and is not authorized to sell or service Brunswick products.

Comment

Working...
        X