Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sea Ray 230 broke engine and such!

Hi everyone,
    I bought a boat in a running condition, after two days of using it, i broke the engine (A rod went trough...) So i am replacing my engine in a week or so. So i will have a brand "new" engine! It's a 350 Chevy block, with 260+ hp. I found out by removing the outdrive (Because, first i need to do that to put the new engine in and second, wanted to replace all the bellows etc...), that the previous owner had a housing of a Alpha One Gen I and the outdrive from a Alpha One generation II...kind of a Mickey Mouse stuff here...but anyways, everything was working just fine... (until i broke the engine...) So my question here, is that i found in my town a complete outdrive from your company (top and bottom) for a pretty good price, it's a generation I and has a ratio of 1:50, would that work with my engine?

Thank you

Olivier

If the drive you removed is a 1.5 ratio and is in good shape you should just use it. To install a Gen 2 in a Gen 1 transom assembly requires changing the shift shaft in the bell housing and grinding quite a bit of material out of the gimbal ring. That is why we do not recommend installing a Gen 2 in a Gen 1 transom assembly.

Tech Support

Comment

Originally posted by Tech Support View Post
      If the drive you removed is a 1.5 ratio and is in good shape you should just use it. To install a Gen 2 in a Gen 1 transom assembly requires changing the shift shaft in the bell housing and grinding quite a bit of material out of the gimbal ring. That is why we do not recommend installing a Gen 2 in a Gen 1 transom assembly.

Tech Support
      Thank you for your answer. I know how it has been done, i can see the shift shaft's modification, but my question is, i want to get back to the original, meaning, transom of Gen I with an outdrive Gen I. and if this complete outdrive with a ratio of 1.50 would work.

Thank you

Olivier

Comment

The drive will work if you undo the modifications. This would require changing the shift shaft back and replacing the gimbal ring.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X