106 Lower Leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 106 Lower Leak

One of my NEW drives has developed an oil leak, and I need to know how we are going remedy the leak.

Two months ago I installed 2 new 106's (uppers and lowers).

Today when lowering one of the drives from 95% down, to fully down, milky oil drained out the prop! Enough oil to create about a 6" circle on the concrete.

The oil does not appear to be coming from the output shaft seal. It appears to be coming from further forward, but I cannot see where. Pressure testing to 15 psi (while full of oil) shows a very slow leak (though my tester seems to have developed a slight leak). After about 10 minutes it was down to 14 pounds, with a slight output of additional oil.

The oil is still full, and not milky at the upper fill plug (have not opened the lower plug as yet).

It SEEMS the leaked oil became milky while sitting in the slightly tilted drive, which still retained a little water from the last outing almost 3 weeks ago.

What do I do now? SOB! I was FINALLY going to go out tomorrow!

Thanks,
    Rob

You should drain the oil and pressure check the drive. Then separate the halves and check each individually. I suspect the shift bushing on the lower unit. You can spray soapy water around the shift bushing and water pump to try and determine where the leak is. If it is in the shift bushing, I can send you a new one to fix the problem without returning the unit. Just write down the serial numbers from the halves and call our warranty department at 727-461-0811 between 8AM and 5PM M-F Eastern Time.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
    X