Gimbel bearing in alpha one

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gimbel bearing in alpha one

Hello, I have been told by some that the center bearing section of the gimbel bearing assembly can be removed and replaced reusing the outer Tollerance/corregated ring section.(After removing the assembly from the housing). Apparently the (2) slots in one side of the outer section allow for this. Also I have been told that once the center section is replaced to reinstall the entire assembly with the aforementioned slots facing aft to facilatate future center section R&R. Is this viable ?? Are there risks to this as opposed to R&Ring the entire assembly ?? Note : I have heard that mercruiser does not recommend this and local boat shops tell me they R&R the entire assembly but they have done the above in the past.

Thank You

I recommend changing the entire bearing assembly.

Tech Support

Comment

Gimbal Bearing follow up

I have successfully removed and replaced the Gimbal bearing as follows: Removed G.B. Assembly with a (3) finger 5 pound slide hammer rented from an auto parts store (O'Reillys). Removed and replaced center bearing section only, reusing outer tolerance ring. Reinstalled G.B.Assembly into transom with the two slots in the tolerance ring facing rearward.( This should make for easier center bearing R and R in the future) . Installed G.B. Assembly with a tool made from 3 inch I.D. Schedule 80 PVC pipe cut to length and tapered at the bearing contact end . A block of wood and sturdy hammer finished the job. Did not use G.B. to engine coupler alignment tool and had no problem reinstalling sterndrive as it slid right on and bolted up. Ran motor on land engaging forward and reverse gears. no problems noted.
      Have not lake tested yet. Will keep posted after lake test.
      Scott

Comment

Follow up to follow up

Well , I hit the lake today, towed a coupla teens around wakeboarding for 3 or 4 hours. No problems noticed with the boat. No unusual sounds or leaks.
        everthing seemed to be operating normally. So Far so good.
        S.

Comment

Working...
        X