106 and reverse headaches...please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 106 and reverse headaches...please help

First I must say this forum is great, I had learned a lot from you all and Keven @ SEI as well, however, I'm still having reverse issues on my 106...here's the skinny. boat is 89 cobia, 5.0 merl with brand new upper and lower 106....forward and neutral are fine, when shirting into reverse you can hear the prop clicking like it is just about there, probably the clutch dog about to engage, but we can't seem to get enough out of the cable..the drive on the bench works fine in fwd / neu / rev by rotating props both way and drive shaft turns....we've taken off the cable housing completly off the throttle body and fully bottomed it out and opened it up, still no reverse...so a cable adjustment at this point is out of the question...maybe the shift cable is binding up but it doesnt seem to....the shift shaft spline is on correctly...it is only off maybe 2-3 degrees when in forward, not perfectly straight, but just about, kevin said i could bend the shift shaft to get it straight.....we've pulled the drive on and off about five times and still to no avail....i'm thinking about sending the lower back to sei for an inspection, i guess this would be covered under warranty....anyone have any ideas or some good advice...im dying to get my boat in the water...

With the drive off the boat, check and see how many degrees of swing you have in the shift shaft from forward to reverse. If you have more than 60 to 70 degrees the problem is in the lower unit and you will have to contact SEI warranty department.

Tech Support

Comment

how do i check the degress? is there a tool or template i can use to check this?

Comment

You can look at the shift shaft swing in relation to a clock face. If you have more movement than from 9:45 (reverse) to 12:00 (forward) then I suspect a shift spool problem. If you like, you can call SEI and request a shift cable adjustment document that shows plans on how to make a tool to check the degrees.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X