Won't Shift

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Won't Shift

I have had my 106 outdrive for 8 months now and have had cooling and knocking problems. But now I'm having a shifting problem. It started out slow, hard to shift from forward to neutral or from reverse to neutral. Now I can't get it out of forward with out going right into reverse. But I have found if I keep pressure on the shift lever toward reverse and turn off the engine it goes right into neutral.
    Also when the boat is on the trailer and while the engine is running it shifts just fine. Conclusion: It won't shift under a load and this would be in the lower unit and not a cable adjustment.
    I also replaced both shift cables and shift slide. Please Advise

The trouble shifting you describe is a problem with the cutout switch. When under load the engine must stall for a moment to allow the clutch dogs to release. You can email kevin@sterndrive.cc and request a document covering shift cable and cutout switch adjustment.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the help

I just wanted to thank you for the help. I've owned my boat (a 25ft. pursuit) for 27 years now and did not know what exactly the cut-out switch was for. I knew it would kill the engine, but did not know it works every time you shift out of gear. So as it happen, the switch went bad and is a discontinued item. I needed to put a shift plate kit in. But again I want to thank you for the help. Happy Boating John

Comment

Working...
      X