Unusual water leak

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unusual water leak

My dad just bought and installed a new SEI outdrive for his 1971 Searay. The boat has the inline 6 165 which I rebuilt for him. The transom assembly is a Model 1 type and the old outdrive was giving him problems, so he bought the new complete SE106 outdrive which replaces the Alpha model. (We made sure it has the correct, old style, short drive shaft).

Here's the problem. He just called me and said after installing the outdrive with a new gasket, o-ring, etc, he has a small but steady stream - like a pencil stream - of water coming out of the top of the bellhousing area - where the outdrive mates with the bellhousing - when the engine is running on muffs.

Here's a picture showing where it is leaking:

We have been running an alpha outdrive on this old style transom assembly for the last month or so with no problems. This is one we took off another boat. So there has been no history of any problems with any leaks in this area.

My first thought was that he let the o-ring slip out somehow when he installed it and suggested he pull it apart and check. He did so, and even bought a new gasket set. Same problem!

I have no clue what to suggest he do next as I've never seen one leak there. I told him the only other thing I could think of was a manufacturing defect / bad sealing area ... but I would think that would be somewhat obvious to the naked eye.

Anyone have any suggestions? (I've only talked to him on the phone about this issue, I haven't seen it with my own eyes yet).

I agree it would almost have to be a bad sealing surface on the water passage o-ring. I would inspect it carefully.

Tech Support

Comment

Turned out to be a "lump" of excess paint which held the outdrive out far enough to keep the oring from sealng properly. Once the paint was scrapped off, everything sealed up fine. (Thanks to the crew at the SEI shop for finding and fixing the problem!)

Comment

Working...
      X