Over heating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Over heating

I bought a SE106 lower unit last fall to replace the alpha I unit which met its demise when I hit a rock during last falls drought / low water conditions.

Also, the engine was rebuilt the previous spring (4.3L v6) and during that rebuild the engine water pump and thermostat were replaced and carb was rebuilt.

I installed your outdrive last fall but due to the low water conditions I never got the boat out after installing the new lower unit.

Now, this year I am having engine temp issues. As I throttle the engine up the engine temp gauge climbs to 210F at which point I throttle down to idle where the temp falls back down to around 140F. So either the engine is not getting enough cooling water or there is an obstruction in the cooling system.

My first thought was the exhaust headers were plugged so I pulled those off and cleaned them. Since this is an older boat there was a good bit of rust blockage in the headers but the riser water ports were not plugged. I did a thorough job of cleaning the headers and reinstalled them hoping I found the problem. Well no, The engine temp still rises to the point of over heating within about a half mile or so. Same situation. throttle up to get boat on plane, back off to 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, trim the bow up, and sit back and watch the temp gauge rise to 200+F then throttle back to idle and watch the temp gauge fall back to 140f??? The engine will idle cool for ever. I can put it in gear and idle along at 140F but once I give it any throttle the temp guage starts to climb.

I have a hard time believing that a new lower unit could have a bad water impeller but It's beginning to look that way, especially once you consider the fact that I didn't have any temp issues until I installed your SE106Lowere unit....

So my question are have you had any units shipped with faulty water pumps. And I don't look forward to the task of pulling the lower unit off to check the water pump. Is there a test I can perform to verify the pump functionality??

Thanks for your reply,
    Brian

After searching these forums I see that others have had problems with over heating after installing your drives. I just could not believe it would be your water pump??? Looks like it is. Wow, the trouble this has caused me.... Now what? I would like to have this fixed buy the week end. DO you have a kit (including gear oil - Amsoil gear lube) that you send out???

Comment

I see since your post you have contacted our technical support department. Hope your problem is solved.

Tech Support

Comment

No it's not solved but we suspect a bad water impeller or housing or both. I have to say that I am not at all excited about having to split the drive again to check the condition of the "new" impeller...

Comment

Fixed!

It looks like the lower water pump gasket was installed backwards (from the factory). I'm happy we found the problem ...... But I'm surprised it could leave the factory this way.
          The first pic is what I found. The second is how it should look - I flipped the gasket thereby opening up the water inlet.
          When the gasket is installed backwards the inlet is restricted which explains why the engine would run cool at idle and run hot with any throttle at all. Just not enough water getting in.

Comment

I apologize for the assembly error. I would appreciate it if you would contact our warranty department with the serial number of the lower unit so that the problem can be brought to the attention of the person who assembled the lower.

Tech Support

Comment

you;'re not alone

Hey NC/tech support.

I have a friend who purchased a drive last summer, and had exactly the same problem! Apparently somebody new in the assembly area or something--more than one got out like that...

Other than that tand not being overly pleased with the durability of the finish after one season in Lake Erie, his experience has been positive, and was enough so that I'm in the process of putting a 106 on the back of my 1980 25' Nova.

Comment

Working...
              X