Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Universal problem ? Over heating ?

Three problems with new SE 106.
    1) over heats at idle. Mechanic removed drive and replaced water pump, did not solve problem. When boat is under power at 1500 RPM temperature stays fine.

2) Out drive ran great for first 5 minutes then started a grinding sound. Goes into gear fine. Makes grinding sound even when not in gear.

3) After 15 minutes of running the drive makes a very loud noise when turning in both forward and reverse. Can not steer correctly and boat ended up beached. I don't think I damaged the drive but did not help the prop !

My other problem is that the boat is kept in the water 120 miles from home and I have to drag a trailer to the boat to haul it out. This costs me $200 each time I haul it out in gas not to mention the mechanics fee. Help please. Don

It sounds as though the overheat problem is on the boat side since you have inspected and replaced the water pump. Inspect the thermostat and the water bypass system in the housing. The bypass system consists of spring loaded balls that keep water from bypassing to the exhaust during low throttle. It is not unusual to hear a whining sound as you break the drive in.
    The drive acts as a rudder and if the boat is not steerable you need to check cables or hydraulics. If the boat wanders you need to check the swivel pin and the tiller arm in the transom assembly. If you like you can call for our technical support at 813-925-7127 M-F 8AM-5PM Eastern Time.

Tech Support

Comment

I still think the universal is a problem. In both forward and reverse when I turn the steering wheel left or right about a 1/2 turn the out drive makes a loud clunking sound. If I continue to turn the wheel it kind of adds a poping sount to the clunking sound. If throttle is increased it really gets bad.

Thanks, Don

Comment

You can remove the drive and check the u-joints to see if they have side to side play. If they have more than .010" they are the problem. Also, if you recently replaced the gimbal bearing check to be sure it is installed at least 1/8" past the edge of the bore.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X