No Reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No Reverse

I have a new 106 that will not go into reverse. It appears that the cable can't pull far enough forward towards the transome to turn the brass lever counterclockwise. It seems to be just a degree or two too short. If I press my finger against the brass lever it will go into reverse when installed. The cable looks good the old drive didn't have any problems with shifting. I removed the drive looked again at the parts they all appeared to be correct (I've pulled the old drive off many time past to replace boots and lub the drive shaft etc.) You have sent me the cable adjustment instructions the other day, without any luck.

Any ideas?

Inspect the shift shaft in the bell housing to make sure that it is not bent (spread out) where the brass shift shaft goes in. Also check to make sure your shift slide is going all the way inside the bell housing against the brass hex part of the fitting.

Tech Support

Comment

I am having the EXACT same problem word for word. The shift slide goes against the the hex part at the bell housing. My old unit shifted fine but the new one dosent. I sent the 106 back and was told there was nothing wrong with it. I have had 3 boat guys look at it and a merc. dealer install a new shift cable and all said there is "excessive throw" in the shift lever. If I take a pair of pliers and pull directly on the shift cable it still cannot get enough to get reverse. I am going on my second season out of the water and I'm getting frustrated!

Comment

Make certain that the shift cable sheath is threaded all the way into the bell housing with no more than two threads showing. As mentioned before, be sure the shift slide goes all the way back up against the brass hex of the fitting.

Tech Support

Comment

I've checked that several times. Has anyone heard any thing from Paul599? I would like to contact him but cant access his email.
          Last edited by labman1; 07-22-2008, 05:37 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X