106 operating temp question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 106 operating temp question

I've installed a new complete 106 stern drive on my boat and I'm really paranoid of the top bearing exploding like the old drive did, so bear with me. :)
    Just wondering how hot the top plate should get while operating. When we come up to speed(today was the first time - we've been breaking it in slowly), I noticed that the top plate was almost too hot to put a hand on it. Is that normal? Please say yes - and mean it... Once we slow down and it gets covered with water, it cools right down. I just worry about an extended run at speed.
    Thanks

Extended runs at speed will definately create some extra heat in the upper unit. There is a product called a drive shower which will help cool the upper unit on extended runs. Keep in mind that you wouldn't want to touch something that was 120 degrees for very long and I am sure the upper unit will get hotter than that when running.

Tech Support

Comment

Good to know... I'm new at this. I've looked into coolers and now need to know if drilling holes in the cav plate will void the warranty. I had a large fin on my old drive that was drilled into the plate and also noticed that some of these coolers require drilling.

Comment

The installation of a hydrofoil or drive shower will not effect the warranty.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X