Got reverse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Got reverse

I finally got reverse but it took alot. We had to grind down the bell crank and the shift slide so they could both go back more. We also squeezed the fork on the shift shaft where it connects to the brass lever so it literally snapped together(there was very little slop before). My old unit shifted fine before. It seems that this unit was not an exact copy or replica of merc. I cant believe that all this extra work and cost is normal. I had the shift cable replaced (by merc dealer), had the unit on and off several times, shipped it back on my dime; only to have it shipped back with "nothing wrong with it", gone thru a half a dozen quarts of gear oil from installing and removing the unit and half my warranty is gone and it has'nt even seen the water. I expect SEI to contact me concerning this matter. Thank you.

se106

for one, the slide dosent get squeezed, if the cable isn`t installed properly with no more than 2 threads visable you wont get reverse.
    If you dont have the setscrew installed properly (no slack in the slide) you wont get the travel either.If the plastic roller is damaged,broken off,flattened
    I`ve installed a few of these and have not had a problem ,uppers,lowers, and complete`s.
    These drives do work properly IF all the other components are in working order.

Comment

I dont know what you are talking about squeezing the slide we tightened up the fork where it conects to the brass lever. The cable was installed by a merc dealer properly and checked several times by myself and others. There is NO threads showing and the slide is new and so is the bell crank. My old parts worked fine before the new unit and new ones were installed thinking the cable was stretched. The set screw was set acording to spec... in tight and back off half turn no slack.

Comment

Same Shifting problem

I fitted a new 106 last year and had exactly the same problems you had. I had to grind back the slide and shift lever in the bell housing to get enough travel to engage reverse, even with a new cable with everything adjusted and readjusted several times and no threads showing on the brass nut on the cable. Even with all this i can't get reverse fully engaged to the point that it should but it does workwell enough. It seems to me the these drives have slightly more travel in the dog clutch than a factory mercruiser.

Comment

Pulled boat out of storage and having same problem! no reverse! I ground down some more off the crank and still cant get it to lock in reverse. What can I do? If I push on the brass shift shaft it will lock. It seems to have alot of play in that shaft up and down, in and out: is that normal. Am I missing parts? I am getting tired of taking this thing on and off. I have sent it back twice now and am told nothing is wrong. Please help.

Comment

Email Tech@sterndrive.cc and I will send a shift cable adjustment document that will show you how to check the travel in both the drive and the remote control. Older remotes controls can get sloppy and not have quite enough throw.

Tech Support

Comment

It has nothing to do with the remote control. If I pull the cable thru the sleeve with a pair of pliers (at the engine) it still bottoms out and hits the bell housing. IT CANT GO ANY MORE THERE IS EXCESSIVE THROW IN THE SHIFT SHAFT. If you drop the lower unit and bench test it it will lock into reverse but I think it has to much throw in that shifter shaft, it bottoms out. Why did my old unit shift ok?

Comment

I'm not the only one

Seems like same problem?
                http://www.sterndrive.cc/vbforum/showthread.php?t=244
                http://www.sterndrive.cc/vbforum/sho...shift+problems
                Last edited by labman1; 05-20-2009, 06:21 PM. Reason: added another link

Comment

An outside possability that the plastic guide tube may be a bit long preventing the slide from bottoming out in reverse or there is some crud builtup inside the slide preventing full travel.Try pulling the drive again and see if the slide bottoms out in the cavity.

Comment

Nope we checked that and actually ground some off the slide and crank to get a lot more travel. I didnt have a problem shifting the old one why am I having all this trouble now. Thanks for the feedback tho.

Comment

Please give us a call at 813-925-7127. Ask for the warranty department. It certainly isn't typical for there to be this type of problem.Tech Support

Comment

Working...
                      X