Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what happens if a new SEI unit destroys a lower unit?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what happens if a new SEI unit destroys a lower unit?

I bought a new SEI 106 unit last year.I took my lower unit off this weekend to change the water impellor. I found the lower input shaft half worn off and the part in the upper unit where the shaft goes is also heavily worn. I know the upper unit is covered under the warranty but what about the lower unit? Last year there was nothing wrong with the input shaft. It almost looks like the peice in the upper unit was the wrong one.

The Alpha One upper units are all the same size female splines on the driven gear. Lower unit driveshaft spline damage is usually a result of running aground or hitting a submerged object. It is also possible you have other issues with the lower unit. Our warranty only covers our products, so the upper is covered, but the lower is not.

Tech Support

Comment

drive

Have never found a drive with wear like you describe. Can you post a pic?
      Most shaft damage I`ve seen has been from a underwater strike causing a twist at the splines.

Comment

It will be a couple of weeks till i have it apart again but i will take pics and post then. The lower unit never hit anything. When looking at the teeth of the shaft there half worn off almost like the peice that the shaft goes into wasn't machined right.

Comment

sorry for the delay. The other day my drive was making noise. This what i was talking about. I know the upper unit is covered.But now it looks like i have to buy a lower as well. It looks like the gear in the upper unit wasn't macined right. As u can c from the pics the shaft isn't bent.It just wore half the threads like the the upper gear wasn't meshed properly to the shaft. I've attached a pic of the shaft. If u need i can email the high resolution pic to u.

Comment

Only time i have see that is from inpact damage. One good strike ,even without prop damage will do that. Just did a customer with that same pic.2 weeks after the strike the pinion gear sheared off.When the unit was split it looked just like yours. This pic a very severe hit that literally exploded the lower bullet area, the driveshaft shaft, and tore the crankshaft end off the crankshaft .

Comment

Working...
            X