Remote Oil Reservior

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Remote Oil Reservior

Hi, I just purchased and received my complete 106, upper and lower. I was wondering about your thoughts on a remote reservior for the outdrive. Thanks Roman

P.S. Would you suggest the merc version or some other?

I am not sure if Mercury makes a verson for the 106 anymore. There are usually some kits that you can buy on ebay. It is definately a good idea to have the remote reservoir as it will aid you in keeping the oil full and stop the drive from building up too much pressure when it gets hot.

I also recommend a drive shower. We will be adding them to our store soon.

Comment

I see the remote oil kit at http://www.mercstuff.com/reservoir.htm and it seems like a good idea, but $179 (x2 in my case) is a little steep for a bottle, hose, and end fitting (and a couple brackets.) An SEI version of this Kit would be a nice compliment to the 106.
      Island

Comment

P.S. with a resevoir add-on like this would you instantly know if you were getting water in your outdrive oil, or with its single hose, would it not give a quick indication of a seal problem?

The ultimate would be a system that would circulate the outdrive oil to a location where you could see/sample it from within the boat for boats that don't live on a trailer.
        Island

Comment

Like SEI to make remote oil res.

I too would like SEI to make remote oil res. for the se 106. The aftermarket ones are expensive and for a plastic bottle/hose/fitings I would think you could make it for less than $75.
          I thought about making my own if I could find the right reservoir, hose and fittings should not be too much of a problem.

Comment

Here`s a few ideas
            Use a hose from the tilt/trim system with a threaded adaptor to accept the hose and fit the outdrive (should be long enough),pass it thru the transom above the water line, a plastic bottle (thick plastic bottom)with a threaded cap ,drill and tap for a fitting to mate to the hose in the botom.

Comment

That is what I was thinking

Trim hose or probably I would take a trip to the hydralic shop / hose shop, we have a shop that specializes in fittings and hoses for hydralic, water, and other applications. I have not started looking for a bottle yet, but will keep my eye out. Any bottle that is ok to put oil in might work, it could even have just a barb hose fitting on the end (hose clamp), no pressure so a hose and hose clamp on the one end would work fine. I am going to try and fine an example on a boat this summer and probably starting looking into making one come winter. Will let you know if I have success.
              The antifreeze recovery bottle on my fresh water cooling system I purchased would probably work if the plastic bottle was ok for oil. It has a barb fitting at the bottom and is clear enough to see the oil level.
              I really want to get a good look at a remote oil res. installed on a boat first.
              I thin SEI would sell a bunch of them if they could sell one for $50-$75.

Comment

I think the kit on ebay is just a Coolant overflow jug. I wouldn't think the plastic would react negatively to oil, oil is pretty mild.

Tech Support

Comment

I thin SEI would sell a bunch of them if they could sell one for $50-$75.
                  I think so too -- at that price I would have purchased a pair with my recent 106 purchase without hesitation.

As is, $179 is a bit too pricey for what I see in the kit, yet it's a bit of a pain to source the little bit of hose, two of this fitting, two of that fitting, make the small retaining brackets and through-transom fitting/cover, etc.
                  Island

Comment

The other thing to consider is the $179 kit included a sensor that can be hooked up to a warning buzzer, so if it drops below a certain point the buzzer will go off.

Tech Support

Comment

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think the OEM kit for the SE116 does include a sensor (and this kit feeds into the drive's built-in oil passage.)

But the OEM kit for the SE106 also priced at $179 does not seem to include a sensor that I can see.

I don't know how many SE106s are still being sold, but this could be a case where SEI could improve upon the OEM product as well as selling a bunch of them.
                      Island

Comment

Here is one non-OEM remote gear oil kit that was available in the past for $47
                        http://www.diversified-marine.biz/vi...es_PN_69622A_7
                        Island

Comment

Working...
                        X