To much gear lube in lower unit ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To much gear lube in lower unit ?

I just completed changing water pump in SE106 lower unit. All went good.
    Last step before running was to fill with gear lube. I removed vent and pumped in 32 oz. of gear lube wait for it to come out vent. Went to second bottle and put another 10 oz. in until it came out vent. I have a total of 42 oz in there.

I thought all was good until I noticed gear lube seeping from the seam where the upper and lower meet. (only on the starboard side and it is a small area about 1 inch wide, not along the entire seam).

Did I fill it to much?

Did I assemble it incorrectly?

please help.

thanks in advance

tom

leak

You accidently left out a small O ring type seal that goes between the upper and lower just to the right of the water pump housing.It`s proper name is the "quad seal". You will have to at least drain enough oil out to split the unit ,but you can drain it back into the bottle.

Comment

Can you please follow this link and give me the corresponding number?

thanks again

http://www.boatfix.com/merc/Servmanl/6/6B3R3.PDF

Comment

3B-8 item 5 ,This seal is approx 3/8ths dia. 1/16th thick and flat with a groove around the edge. There is a small recess to the right of the pump housing in the 9:00 position.

Comment

Thanks again. I was able to drop it enough to put in the quad seal.

This was real easy to miss, it came with my water pump kit. (which had no instructions with it)

-tom

26 4577 1

Comment

Your welcome, but the Thanks goes to SEI for having a site like this.

Comment

Working...
            X