Alpha Gen 2 on Gen 1 housing?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha Gen 2 on Gen 1 housing?

Hi, I have two spare 1998 Alpha 2 Gen 2 sterndrives, one counter rotating. My boat has two standard 1989 Gen 1's. One side has died and needs to be replaced and the other side may also have some damage (I hit something under the water). I was of the understanding that Gen 2's would not fit on Gen 1 gimbal asembly's, etc but have been told by a local reputable Mercruiser dealer that it will fit and they have done this before. He mentioned the yoke may need replacing (or something like that due to the length), but nothing major needs to be done. Is this correct? I'd like to use my gen 2's due to one side being counter rotating (and I know I'd need to replace the props). Thanks, Andrew

It can be done, but it is not recommended. The cooling systems are designed differently on the engines because of the different water pump designs. Also a gen two will not physically fit between the gimbal ring on the gen one transom assembly so you would have to grind some material away which will weaken the gimbal ring. Also the sift shaft in the bell housing needs to be changed.

I wouldn't do it on my personal boat, and I wouldn't recommend anyone to do it.

Tech Support

Comment

OK, thanks for your help - the cooling system is drawn, etc from under the boat with a raw water pump off the engine (it is fresh water cooled). However I'm not keen on them grinding parts away, so will probably leave it. In regards to Gen 1's, is the lower gearbox the part that determines counter rotation or is it both boxes? Thanks, Andrew

Comment

The lower is what determines the rotation. Also the remote control moves the shift cable opposite of a standard rotation.

Tech support

Comment

Working...
        X