Alpha w/ belt driven pump

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpha w/ belt driven pump

I snatched a 1982 Grady White Pacific 221 w/ 5.7 litre alpha one setup out of somebody's back yard. The outdrive upper had eaten itself and I have a new SEI drive on the way. This boat has a raw water thru hull and a belt driven pump. The engine's water supply from the outdrive has been capped off. Question is whether this will cause the water that is supposed to flow thru the drive to remain static and overheat the drive? I'm considering uncapping the flow and turning it back onto the upper in some form of shower or plumbing it in series with the belt driven pump.

Thanks
    Last edited by Pacific221; 05-27-2009, 01:44 PM.

Most people just cut the hose in the transom assembly and let the water spay around in that area. I have seen people plum the lines together, but would be a bit concerned if one failed, would water from the other pump go out the failed impeller line.

I like the idea of making it a drive shower, but to be effective you would need to make some sort of custom nipple that would shower the drive as opposed to just dumping a large stream on it. Anything is better than nothing though.

Tech Support

Comment

I was going to run the pumps in series for redundancy and not use the thru hull or convert it to a baitwell or washdown.

For clarification the bottom line is that the water from the drive does need to be flowing somewhere?

Thanks for the help it's my first I/O.

Comment

I would like to see the water flowing through the drive. Or at the very least, put a sterndrive shower on it and leave the impeller out of the drive.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks, I'll get it thru there somehow.

Comment

water flow

Unless you have the fresh cooling option I would used the pump in the drive plumbed to the therm inlet fitting.There is more than enough cooling water supplied by the impeller.Plus you could always use the belt driven pump as a backup .

Comment

Working...
            X