Corrosion on lower unit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Corrosion on lower unit

Hello, I have a 106 that I bought in 2007 for a major boat rebuilding project on a 24 foot Searay. I have had the boat in salt water four times with a total of about 8 hours on the outdrive. I flushed the unit each time but noticed some corrosion and paint coming off on the lower unit. It is located by a little 1/4" hole near the bullet section on the front side (closest to the stern). I suppose I can sand it down and repaint it but, what is the little hole for?

The hole is just a drain hole for water that will accumulate in a cavity. If the hole wasn't there, the drive would crack apart in climates that have freezing temperatures.

Tech Support

Comment

Was the hole drilled after the coating was applied and thus corrosion started on the uncoated sides of the hole and lifted the paint off? Or did it get some kind of weather damage to the coating from the water coming from the hole freezing right there? Or does the hole create a cavitation effect that boils the coating off while underway?
      Island

Comment

In my case, the hole was never frozen. The corrosion is under the paint. I plan to sand it down and repaint the area with a good enamel type. I hope that will stop it.

Comment

Working...
        X