Gear Lube in Transom

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gear Lube in Transom

I installed a se106 on my boat to replace a dead alpha one sterndrive about this time last year. I completed the break in period as instructed and had no problems with the unit last year. At the end of the season I had the boat professionally winterized. After my first trip to the lake this weekend I foud gear lube oil was leaking into the transom area of my boat. I had just changed the gear lube the morning before we left and I am sure it was full. When we arrived home I checked it again and had to pump in an additional 8 oz of gear lube to fill it up again. Now what, if the unit is completely sealed then how is gear lube getting out into the boat?

If your getting gearlube into the boat, then it must be leaking out of the upper u-joint seal. The seal could have gone bad, or sometimes if you overfill the drive it can lbuild up to much pressure and leak into the bellows.

Tech Support

Comment

Next step?

If it was due to over filling and thus higher pressure wouldn't it have stopped once it reached regular level or does it damage the seal when this happens? The drive was 8oz low so it obviously did not stop leaking when it hit the "normal" level or it would have been full so I am assuming the latter.
      At any rate it sounds like it will have to be taken off the boat and sent in for repair. Can this be fixed without replacing the entire drive and thus having to go through the 20 hour break in period again?

Comment

We can usually just replace the seal as long as no water got in and damaged anything. Get the serial number off of the unit and call the warranty department at 813-925-7127

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
        X