what is this washer called

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• what is this washer called

Stupid question, but what is this washer called and what does it do (red circled)? One of the previous outdrives has this small washer behind the prop, the other has none.
    Island

It is a continuity washer, designed to keep continuity between the drive and the prop.

Tech Support

Comment

Sorry to be dense, but now I'm curious - what would be the effect to look for of not having one installed for a few years.
      Island

Comment

Most people don't have them installed. If you are in fresh water it probably wouldn't matter. If you are in salt water, then you might get more corrosion on the prop with out it.

Tech Support

Comment

The props are stainless, so without it would you expect to get more corrison on the drives themselves? (can't see any difference between the one that has it and the one that doesn't have it, but now I'm just curious since I ordered a new set of these $2 washers with $5 shipping :))
          Island

Comment

Well, I think you have your answer, since you don't see any difference. Maybe it would make a difference with aluminum props, but I don't have enough experience with that to give you a good answer.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X