Trim problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trim problem

I've got a 1984 Merc 140 w/SEI upper drive (Fourth year and still runnin' strong!) but I've got a problem with the trim. We were out yesterday and we had the lower unit in the "down" position and it just went dead (the trim control, not the motor). Got back to shore and up on the trailer (trim still down...a few tense moments at the launch pulling the boat out...but no problems) I was messing around with the control and I put the throttle in reverse (all power off) and the trailer button WORKED! I got the drive in the trailer position but that's it. That's all I could do.

Prior to putting the throttle in reverse I tried forward and neutral and I could hear the solenoids (I think it's the solenoids...not sure) click.

Any ideas?

If the solenoids click, but the motor doesn't spin, then there are a few checks you can do. With a multi meter you can check power at both sides of each solenoid. One side will have power all the time and the other only when the trim switch is pressed. The top solenid is for up and the bottom solenoid is down.

If the solenoid is not transferring power, then the solenoid is bad. It would be odd for both solenoids to fail at once, so I would think hte motor is suspect. You can hook the motor up directly to the positive side of the battery using a jumper wire. The green wire is down and the blue wire is up. If the motor does not spin then it is most likely bad, or had a bad ground.

A manual would help immensly with the trouble shooting process.

It is good practice to also check all the connections to be sure they are tight.

Tech Support

Comment

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll give them a shot!

Comment

Working...
      X