Thinking of buying a SE106 what do I need to Know

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinking of buying a SE106 what do I need to Know

I have a 75 gradywhite with a 165hp mercruiser inline v6. Want to replace the sterndrive. Which sterndrive do I get the 1.62? I know i need to measure the yoke size also. What else do I need to know / do before I make a decision? Will the unit seal into the bell housing properly?
    1975 Grady White
    165hp Mercruiser

It will be the same as the OEM drive.1.65 is the ratio you need.Make sure to check the input shaft length.

Comment

thx,,,not to sound ignorant but order the SEI 1.62 then?
      1975 Grady White
      165hp Mercruiser

Comment

Yes, they (Mercruiser) changed the ratios slightly when they changed to stronger gears. SEI builds thiers with ratios and gears like what Mercruiser uses now. So 1.5 became 1.47; 1.65 became 1.62, etc. with the new stronger gears. Not quite as mathematically pretty in theory, but in practice you won't notice the difference as stronger gears should keep you happy into the future.
        Island

Comment

Spoke with customer service..a guy named justin...great help. They call the upper unit that I need a 104 due to the older model & short yoke. It comes in a 1.65 ratio. Sounds like a perfect fit....i'll be installing it on tuesday.
          1975 Grady White
          165hp Mercruiser

Comment

very interested in hearing how the installation goes...I'm thinking of doing mine this winter but have never done this kind of work on a boat...built many classic cars from the ground up but never done much with boats.

Comment

270 win, check my new thread on my install i did...be sure you can get your pivot pins out of your old drive prior...if not then order new ones..
              1975 Grady White
              165hp Mercruiser

Comment

Working...
              X