sei 106 shift problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sei 106 shift problem

I've read the other post's concerning the set up and orientation of the shift lever, however I can't get the unit to shift into reverse. I noticed that when locked in the forward position that the cable will push forward when I try to rachet the prop in the oposite direction. The shift lever when locked is in the 12 position, however it will move to the approximately 11 position when racheting. I was going to try my old shift level to see if that works! Any suggestions?

Disconnect the lower drive cable from inside the boat and manually pull the black plastic part toward you while someone turns the prop clockwise. Either it locks or it dosent.
    If not, then pull the drive and see if it locks manually turning the shift shaft
    report your findings

Comment

same shift problems

problem shifting because of shift arm hitting housing before going into reverse ,<, forward on lower at 11 instead of 12 , mercruiser linkage will not compensate for this sei error any suggestions
      Last edited by smrrob; 07-18-2009, 11:35 PM. Reason: need help

Comment

Best to start your own post so it dosent get lost in someone else`s .
        You may be off by a small amount on the splined shaft. drop the lower unit enough to have the shoe clear the splined shaft. turn the splined shaft all the way clockwise while turning the prop counterclockwise untill locked(this is full fwd),realign shift shoe on the splined shaft so it is in a straight line ,raise and tighten nuts.

Comment

Check shift operation before installing on Boat

I installed the 1/2 together on the bench and verified that the shift shaft was in the 12 position in gear, went to neutral, then to reverse like the old outdrive before I even bolted the outdrive to the boat. All shifted as expected on the bench and one person can turn the prop shaft and run the shift lever. I visually verfied that 12 was in forward gear, shifted the boat to neutral and reverse and verified the outdrive on the bench matched the boat shift shaft. All matched and when I installed the outdrive my experience was the boat shifted fine with adjustments.
          I did end up installing the new shift cutout switch later which has helped the outdrive shift better because it has a spring loaded rod that centers its self at neutral. However I donot have the shift cutout switch hooked up, boat kept dying when shifting in/out gear when it was hooked up and tied to dock. But outdrive shifts fine when the boat is not tied to dock.

Comment

shift shaft on 1968 160 mercruiser

i have no service manual on this 160 mercruiser in a 1968 thompson wood boat. replaced the impeller with new kit and can't get shift aligned. is there a marking for the brass encasement - it seems to rotate freely -does it need to be in a certain position. have tried all the hints for setting the spline shaft and rotating prop- but it seems to jump out when attaching the lower unit to the upper unit.
            any help is welcome.

Comment

For starters the remote control needs to be in forward gear. Then, with the lower unit off, position the brass lever so that it is pointing towards the boat. Then on the lower you want to urn the shift shaft clockwise while turning the propshaft counter clockwise. This will get the unit locked into forward. Now you can use a bungee cord to keep tension on the prop, otherwise it will most likely fall out of gear while installing it.

As you bring the lower unit into place, you just need to constantly check to make sure that the brass lever is engaging the splines on the lower while still remaining in the correct position.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
              X