Trouble installing my SE106 Stern Drive

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble installing my SE106 Stern Drive

I have been trying to install my outdrive and have been having trouble. I follow the directions and make sure the shifting cable is in the right position and the outdrive is in forward and that lines up ok. The problem I am having is when I slide it in and all the shifting pieces are lined up, I can get the unit in all but 1 1/4". I have tried this time and time again last night and have the same problem over and over. I mesured the input shaft length from the tip of the shaft to the out drive mating surface and it mesures fine, but I can't get the unit to drop in the last 1 1/4". Do you have any suggestions?
    Joe
    Last edited by Joe Harris; 07-23-2009, 08:12 AM.

trouble installing se106

Have you tried turning the prop shaft counter clockwise to align the splines to the engine coupler while pushing in? Sometimes takes two people or a floor crane to support it while doing so. good luck Joe

Comment

You could also try removing the o-rings from the shaft. If it then fits you know the o-rings are holding you up and you just have to put a little more muscle to get them to pop in.

If you are only and 1 1/4 away you should already be into the splines.

Tech Support

Comment

check the engine alignment using a spare input shaft

Comment

on the bottom side of the out drive under where your six the square six bolt housing is a slide that has to line up if thats jammed up ull never close that 1 1/14

Comment

I had the exact same problem.....could not get it on that last 3/4". My marine shop assured me they checked the engine alignment when they replaced my gimbal bearing. Turns out, they did not and my alignment was way out when they "rechecked" it. Then, the drive went right on, slick as snot. So get your alignment recheked.

Comment

Working...
            X