Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friday Night Help??? Shift Shaft Alignment

Hello,

Trying to install my new drive tonight and it looks like I wont make it on the water this weekend. :(

I cannot get the old or new shift shafts to line up to exactly 12 o'clock. Please take a look.

I am turning the shift shaft clockwise while turning the prop shaft fully into forward engagement. No matter what I do, it just wont line up.

Thanks,

Nick

Last edited by SRDA250; 07-24-2009, 09:04 PM.

It seems like the splines on the shaft are not machined correctly. About the only thing to do to get you going for the weekend would be for you to put your old shift shaft in it. If you want to do this you will need a couple of large screw drivers and a couple of hammers to get the shift bushings out. Or you could make a tool out of a 3/16 thick by 1 inch wide steel stock and cut out the middle for clearance of the shift shaft. Once the bushings are removed you can remove the shaft and install you old one. Just be careful to keep the unit upright while she shaft is out so the shift crank doesn't move out of place.

If you don't want to do this, just give us a call on Monday and we will take care of it for you.

Sorry for the issue,

Tech Support

Comment

Warranty?

Thank you for the response. I am so impressed that you wrote back on a friday night! Thank you so much. I am up for the challenge but am worried that it may void my warranty. Can you comment?

Thanks,

Nick

Comment

You have my permission. If something goes wrong we'll fix you up next week.

Tech Support

Comment

No Go

Well the old one won't budge. I think we need a new drive. Do I have to call support first thing Monday for that? Thanks, Nick

Comment

Just call and ask for warranty on Monday. They can be pretty hard to get out. There is a special tool for it that grabs those slots and allows for a wrench.

Tech Support

Comment

Working...
            X