Grinding noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grinding noise

I have an 88 Bayliner Capri with an OMC Cobra outdrive. I recently adjusted the shift cable so it would knock into gear without grinding and it seems to be doing fine. However, there is a knocking noise, almost like a rod knocking but I believe it is coming from the outdrive. Anyone have a clue what it might be?
    On top of that, I was out today on a new lake that has plenty of shallow mounds and floating logs and I ran into a bit of a problem. I don't know if I hit something but out of no where I heard an awful grinding noise and immediately put the boat into neutral. As soon as I put the boat back into gear it shook violently and there was a bad knocking noise, but still went forward. When I tried giving it some gas, the grinding sound was so horrible I almost paddled the boat back. I checked it all out once I got it on the trailer and the prop was still there and in the same condition. I did notice a couple huge splits in a large hose going into the transom which from my research is a bellow of some sort, exhaust maybe? I don't know if that could be my problem, maybe it being split is letting water in, thus grinding my gears up? I'm all ears at this point and I would like a few opinions before I take it to the shop and sink more money into it. Thanks.

what is the condition and oil level in the outdrive?
    Did you refill it, and exactly how.

Comment

It's full of gear lube and I had a boat shop mechanic show me how to fill it from the bottom up with the pump. It's not grinding there as far as I know. Last night someone showed me how the inside part of the prop is wobbling like it's bent. Should I just replace the lower unit or could it being bent mess up other parts of my outdrive?

Comment

Your assuming this or you actually checked it. Cobra`s are filled from the side screw not the bottom one. May have a air pocket. Other than that a bad gimbal bearing.

Comment

Working...
        X